GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jack Neggerman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
An ICORS List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2023 20:31:48 -0400

Hello Peter, Dan and Alan

Peter, what you wrote and the freshly re-assembled elements of Gestalt therapy was pleasing and comforting. It was satisfying to see all these elements that we are familiar with, but I felt pleased and with more hope.

The therapy won’t necessarily be washed away by too many “Gestalt And” approaches.

What you stated helps me realize that from the beginning, Gestalt therapy was a system for assimilating new thinking, and research.

One  needn’t be as fearful, as the purist Isadore From, about the destruction by adding elements. So rigidity/ death versus growth/expansion;  it is still possible to integrate Newness into a coherent system,  that doesn’t get destroyed in the process.

And Peter, you enumerated the various other methods and theories that you have exposed yourself to, (like many of us), but you also integrated them into Gestalt therapy. It’s reassuring that this is possible, if one Cares and Tries to do it - to maintain a coherency.

As I reflect, I’m thinking that the worlds Gestalt journals hopefully have helped people stay on track to integrate Newness into the Gestalt framework, (though from different lenses).

This helps me further appreciate that one can stay fairly pure, without being rigid or reactionary.

It’s also reassuring how you and Dan allude to the multiple and varied developments, over the long history at the New York Institute of Gestalt Therapy. And that they all tie in well, and do not create inconsistencies in theory or basic assumptions. And that NYIGT has always been-  and still is- a source of integration. It’s pleasing to freshly realize the extent of this - again it makes me happy.

And Peter your recounting the elements of the 50s Gestalt therapy makes me think that the 40s version in South Africa was similar. I’m curious what the actual therapy looked like during the South Africa and  Ego, Hunger and Aggression period. I am not aware of any records. My guess is that it appeared more psychoanalytic.

And yes, Gestalt therapy Was  a creative assimilation of many elements- as you stated: Gestalt psychology, psychoanalysis, Buber, Eastern thought, Reich, Scientology, holism, neuroscience etc. Also theater comes to mind and I can’t remember if Gestalt and psychodrama developed totally independently or if Perls borrowed a little bit from Moreno along the way. Perhaps not.

Of course, as was psychoanalysis and Christianity a combination of existing elements-  that pre-dated Freud - or Jesus. Freud creatively combined associationism with neurology and the contributions of Breuer and Charcot and I can’t recall what else.

Christianity was a combination of Judaism,  the old testament, paganism, and all kinds of prophecy, myths and legends. Such as resurrections, floods, virgin birth, rising from the dead, healing miracles.

My final thought is I’m tempted to go think of all the theories, approaches and healing methods that I’ve personally had even minor exposure to- to see how big of a list it is.

And Alan, thanks for the appreciation of my angle of approach- i.e.  Era and Location. I need to better read and reflect on your most recent contribution here.

Jack Neggerman
Gstalt-L is an independent eCommunity of people interested in gestalt therapy theory and its various applications. Its public archives can be found at http://listserv.icors.org/scripts/wa-ICORS.exe?A0=GSTALT-L, and subscriptions can be managed by clicking on "Subscriber's Corner," which is found at the archives.