VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sherry Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2019 20:40:38 -0500
I'm sorry but I resent being told that listening to an audio book is inferior to reading it in Braille.  It is different but not inferior.  I used to be able to read normal print & do not consider that superior to audio either.  IT is a matter of preference.  There are many people like myself who learned Braille as an adult & just cannot read with any speed.  Yes, I know that much practice would improve my speed but there is only so much time & I have many things I would prefer doing.  Audio is easier to deal with on a train or plane & you can't read a Braille book while folding laundry or making dinner.

Having said all that, the part of your email I do agree with is the importance of Braille.  I do wish I had learned it at a young age & was fluent.  I think it is a critical skill for anyone with low vision or blindness.

Sherry Wells