VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan TeVelde <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2021 16:33:44 -0500
Hi Harry,

I enjoyed the article. I'm not sure what to believe about self-driving cars. I see a lot of optimistic hype in news articles but I have heard a lot of negative comments on podcasts. I was listening to a podcast this week were someone who was being interviewed said in the tests he did the car performed well on the highway but failed miserably on city streets. The driver had to take over. I think it is going to be a long time until this technology benefits blind people. When I initially read about self-driving technology 20 years ago, I had the idea that it would be adopted by a small number of people. I wondered why resources would be devoted to accessible driving for the blind when I thought there were more pressing issues. Now that self-driving vehicles will be used by everyone my thoughts about this have changed. Now I think there is a lot of value in making self-driving cars accessible to the blind as everyone will be using them.

Dan