VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan TeVelde <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2021 11:26:48 -0500
I don't think politics plays a role here. I have known at least one tech
support person who worked for Freedom Scientific. He said they emphasized
closing tickets and had the attitude that if they couldn't replicate a
problem it wasn't a problem. I had an experience like that 10 years ago
where I had a problem with terminal emulation. A JAWS update interfered with
text presentation in Braille and text presentation was crucial for my job.
They had the attitude that because the terminal emulation scripts were
written by a third party and because the scripts were old they said they
couldn't do anything. I pointed out that because the scripts were included
with JAWS then they were responsible. I even met with Freedom Scientific and
the company which makes the terminal emulation software. The company offered
to create a demo environment for Freedom Scientific to debug the issue and
Freedom Scientific wasn't interested. They wanted my employer to hire them
to write scripts to resolve the issue. I understood the issue and
recommended a solution and they weren't interested in trying it. I think
most companies use third-party developers. I doubt that Apple, google, or
Microsoft would tell a customer that they weren't responsible for a part of
their product. I generally find the accessibility help desk at Microsoft
resolves issues. I get mixed results from Apple and google.

Unfortunately, some assistive technology companies don't have good technical
support. I realize this is expensive but there are customer benefits. If a
customer isn't happy with technical support from one company they will take
their business elsewhere. I notice this in the Braille display market. Blind
people aren't very forgiving if they have a bad tech support experience with
one company. I have gotten mixed results with tech support for Freedom
Scientific Braille displays. One person was really thorough at trying to
help me pair my Focus display with an android phone. Other people were
somewhat dismissive. I've gotten good technical support from Hims despite
the fact that they don't answer their phone. The last time I had an issue
they were able to identify it as a feature which wasn't available. At least
they recommended a change to their developers.

I think Freedom Scientific has the attitude that since they are the only
game in town as far as purchased screenreaders are concerned they feel they
can do anything they want because they have a captive audience. They say
they are the world's largest producer of assistive technology but don't
offer the world's largest technical support. I have to admit that their
training resources are good but providing training and documentation isn't
enough. One of the vicug list members gave me a solution to the problem
which I was able to fix in about 30 seconds. The Freedom Scientific tech
support person should have known about screenreader and Braille support for
Google applications.

I know many people who have abandoned Freedom Scientific hardware and
software. Braille users buy other products and screenreader users choose
NVDA, Narrator, VoiceOver, and TalkBack. Some people say they only use JAWS
in a work environment because they have to.

Dan