VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Duane Farrar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Farrar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2020 11:49:50 -0400
Hi All,

I just got up and running this week with a new Windows 10 desktop PC
onto which I downloaded and installed JAWS 2020. I also downloaded and
installed the Office 2019 Home & Student edition. I use Mozilla
Thunderbird as my email client.

I have a problem when creating either Word or Thunderbird documents that
JAWS is not reading the text back to me as I use the arrow and control
keys to move the text cursor up or down a line, from word to word,
paragraph to paragraph, etc. When I select text JAWS does not read the
text that has been selected. I looked at the Quick View (JAWSkey plus V)
settings in Word and couldn't spot anything obvious. Also, I don't seem
to recall this problem when writing email messages in Thunderbird the
previous few days, it only started today after turning on the computer
this morning. This has been happening in Word since I installed it a day
or so ago.

By way of comparison, these behaviors are not happening using Notepad.
JAWS is speaking everything properly.

All thoughts anb suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Duane

p.s. After pasting this text from Notepad into a Thunderbird email
message JAWS now seems to be reading things properly. I suspect this is
a big hint. Perhaps something to do with text encoding or document
formatting?

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]