GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Philip Brownell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
An ICORS List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2021 05:30:36 -0600
Dear Margherita,
Yes. The things you mention that accrue to spirit. Jerry was a spiritual man. But who knows what Jerry would have been like if he had not known Jesus, what kind of spirit he would have exhibited. By the time I met him he’d been influenced, shaped by the knowledge of God. He was not just funny and outgoing; his humor lifted weights off people, and his extroversion was winsome. Before coming to Western Seminary, he had attended Moody Bible Institute in the midwest area of the United States. Dwight Moody had been an influential evangelist of a bygone era, and the institute attempted to carry on with his legacy. So, Jerry was definitely infused with the Holy Spirit and called to the ministry. His body gave up the ghost, but Jerry himself will never die.

There is a song, a worship song, in which one line, for a moment, in a few words, captures the peace Jerry knows now. It says, “The war will be over.” Jesus told his disciples, “In this world you will have trouble…” And we all do. We strive against, and often we find ourselves striving against our own selves, the worst parts of ourselves. He doesn’t have to do that anymore. The war for Jerry is over.

Thank you, Margherita, for your kind thoughts. And you are so right about death not nullifying. The prophet Hosea spoke for God and said, "“I will deliver this people from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death. Where, O death, are your plagues? Where, O grave, is your destruction?”  Paul of Tarsus wrote to the Christian living in Corinth and rephrased that into "“Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” He was talking to them about the power of Jesus to overcome the results of sin in a person’s life, and the freedom from the finality of the death of a condemned soul. The war with sin is over for Jerry.

Warm regards,
Phil