VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2024 21:05:28 -0700
I have been in the hospital several times over the last decade, and I can tell you that while I didn't try to gain access to their computer systems (the beds had alarms on them that would ring a nurse if I tried to leave one), I can tell you that the computer systems they used were not the latest or greatest. While Microsoft was pushing Windows 10, the hospital was using Windows 7 or older, and the nurses and medical people were not always happy with the situation.

As to your question, my guess is that while you could probably look around the computer and do some basic functions, you probably didn't (and wouldn't) have any access to see any documents (a legal violation) or have access to the Internet (which would cost the hospital monthly user charges). If you're in the hospital and want to use a computer, I'd suggest that you keep your usage to your iphone--at least one of my roommates when I spent several nights in the hospital did exactly that.

--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides, if not more.