VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 30 May 2022 16:28:16 -0700
Hi All,

After much trial and error, I managed to make a screen recording for ADP
tech support. I'll post here what finally worked in case others ever
need to make a screen recording on Windows to troubleshoot or to teach.
I showed the finished recording to a sighted person. It didn't show the
whole screen: just the area I was working in. I'm not sure how standard
that is. The good thing is that the recording was limited to the window
I was working in, which was the intended behavior. These steps work in
Windows 10 and 11, but they probably won't work on the work computer (at
least, they didn't on mine).

Before you begin, take care of some preliminaries:

A. Go into System > Gaming.

B. In Gaming, press enter on <XBox Game bar>; then down-arrow to and
press enter on Captures.

C. In Captures, make sure <Capture Audio When Recording a Game> is on,
and in <all Audio Settings>, make sure <Mute System and App Audio> are off.

Now to screen record:

1. Launch whatever app you want to record to put it on standby. You can
probably do this later, but doing it first is one less thing to juggle.

2. Press Windows+g to launch the game bar. You may have to wait a few
seconds.

3. Press alt+Windows+r to start Recording. When recording starts, the
screen reader announces, "Stop recording." The first time you do this,
Windows may ask if this is a game. If it does, press enter on yes.

At this point, recording has begun. If you only want to record the
screen reader, skip to Step 6.

5. In the game bar, tab once or twice to the option for turning on the
microphone, and press enter.

At this point, the recording starts picking up whatever you say and
whatever sounds are in the room where you are.

6. Press alt+tab to get to your app, and do whatever you need to do in
your recording.

7. When you're done, press Windows+g to bring up the game bar, which may
take a couple of seconds; then press alt+Windows+r to stop recording.

The file name for the recording is the app followed by the date. It
should be in the game bar, so you should be able to play it from there.

To find the file itself, go into your user folder, then Videos, then
Captures.

I believe the only things you can't record are the desktop itself and
Windows Explore.

Good luck.

Ciao

On 5/27/2022 7:05 AM, Ana G wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I had a surprisingly productive telephone call with the people from
> ADP yesterday about some of the problems with the ADP portal, which we
> use at work for things like clocking in and requesting time off. The
> person I spoke to would like me to make screen recordings about some
> of the issues we discussed. She would prefer for the recordings to
> include sound so developers can hear what the screen reader is saying.
>

> Windows 10 and 11 include a screen recording feature. It's part of the
> game bar, but it's not just for gaming. The keyboard shortcut to start
> and stop screen recording is Windows+alt+r, and it's supposed to
> record whatever window we're in. I've played with it a little, but I'm
> not having much luck.
>

> Do others here have experience and/or tips for working with it?
>

> Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]