VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:08:17 -0700
From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Elena and all:
The ease and accessibility of shopping on-line for us depends on not only the screenreading tools and browser you are using (you've accounted for both) but the website you're trying to shop from. As I noted in a post last Friday, using the exact same screenreader and browser you are using, I found it a pain to shop using shipt.com (though it didn't appear to be impossible--though, of course, I didn't try to check out with the latest update on this site).

Using the same setup you have, I've found shopping at  http://safeway.com  and  http://amazon.com  to be easiest (I also like a site that I use to purchase CDS from whose url escapes me now).

In all cases, the best thing to do first is to create an account with the store where you wish to browse and/or possibly purchase. Yes, they do keep tabs on length of time on site and what you purchase, but ultimately, you win in the long run if you have an account.

The other thing to look for with the individual sites is if there is an edit box where you can place the name of what you are searching for and get results. While you can go through and peruse the aisles and subaisles for things, it is a lot easier, especially if you know what you want already, to just type in the product name (generic or brand name) and view a list of results than using the arrow key to go from aisle to subaisle to sub-sub-aisle to find what you're looking for each time you visit the site.

I'm going to stop here as getting in to the weeds with you on individual commands for the individual sites (I think that's what you were asking for) might be something too specific to put in to a response for the whole group. Please email me at  [log in to unmask]  if you want more information about how to access Safeway and Amazon using Windows 10 and Firefox.

One more thing. If you have the means to do this (I don't), you should consider purchasing an I-phone (which is accessible out of the box) or an accessible android phone. Most shopping sites today are being developed with these phones in mind as that is how most people are now accessing the Internet. Good luck!

--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides, if not more.