VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 13:35:43 -0700
Hi All,

This isn't a new problem. I've experienced it since at least Windows
2000. I'm posting to find out either what I'm doing wrong or why this
happens. First, I'll describe what I'm trying to do. Then I'll describe
what the problem is.

Every time I get a new computer, I modify the Windows Sound scheme/theme
so that one short sound indicates that a program is opening and another
short sound indicates that a program is closing. When this is working,
it's a beautiful thing. I know when startup is done because I stop
hearing sound feedback, and I know that a background process is slowing
down my computer because I hear the open and close sounds as I'm
molasses typing.

The problem is that the sound settings don't seem to stick. I hear my
sounds the next few times I restart my computer (yes, I turn it off at
night). then a week or two later, I turn on my computer, and I just
don't hear my sounds anymore. I go into Windows settings, thinking the
sounds got reset (maybe because of an update), but I find that the
sounds I've set for those events are still ... well ... set.

The feature I'm talking about is called "sound schemes" in some versions
of Windows and "sound themes" in others. In Windows 11, you find it by
going into Accessibility Settings, then into Audio Settings, then into
More Settings.

Any theories about what's happening or tips about how to get the sounds
to keep working?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at