VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:28:13 -0400
     Hi all,

Just saw this on the thunderbird list, and is this ever important!

enjoy!

"I installed thunderbird on my second computer.  I'd like it to work
exactly as the one on the first computer.  Is there a configuration file
on number one that I can copy to number two to make it a clone?
Thanks.
Howard
someone replied
Hi Howard,

Here is what I do.
If you want the exact copy of everything right down to the most current
mail received,
your address book, all message rules and settings and so on:
1. Before closing Thunderbird on the old system, compact your mail folders.
2. Make sure the installation of Thunderbird on your new system is the
exact same version as on the old system.  This includes the same update
level.
3.  close the program on the old computer.
4.  copy the following entire Thunderbird folder from the following
path: c:\users\<computer name>\app data\roaming.
5. Paste it onto a flash drive or
removable disk.
6. Also, make sure that the new installation of Thunderbird is totally
closed.
7. Then, transfer that entire Thunderbird folder  via your network if
you have one, or, paste it into the new computer in the same folder
path: c:\users\<computer name>\appdata\roaming.
8.  When prompted to over write files, say 'yes to all.'
9.  then launch Thunderbird on your new system. You will see an exact
copy of everything--including the latest mail you received before you closed
Thunderbird on your old system.  I have been doing this since early in
Windows 7 and I have never lost any mail or setting when doing it.
One other point: If there are customizations within your screen reader
itself, you will have to make them again on your new system. For
example, if you
are using NVDA and you have the old Mozilla apps enhancement add-on
configured in your NVDA program, you will have to install that add on on
your new installation."

Harry

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]