VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2021 12:45:37 -0700
7bit
From:
To set up a nonstandard Gmail account in your email client, you may need
to get additional settings from someone at your organization.

At my last teaching job, we switched to Google Suite a few years before
I left. The email address itself didn't change. It was still
SchoolName.edu. But the material for receiving mail on our laptops and
cell phones instructed us to set email up as a Google account. I
couldn't get the instructions to work, so I went to the IT Help Desk.
Someone there set up my laptop, and I was able to use those settings to
set up my phone and desktop at home.

What I think I remember is that I set email up as a Gmail or Google
account, but I had to run the manual setup. Beyond that, I don't really
remember what I did.

On 3/25/2021 9:28 AM, Duane Farrar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> OK, here's the wrinkle. The Gmail email account does not end with
> @gmail.com domain name. Instead, it uses the following convention:
>
> I cannot seem to get the account settings quite right using IMAP.
> Should the incoming server name be IMAP.GMAIL.COM, .GMAIL.COM (WITH A
> LEADING PERIOD AND ASSUMING Thunderbird automatically inserts the IMAP
> part) or simply gmail.com (with no leading period)? I know the
> incoming server port should be 993, but what should the authentication
> settings be? (The Gmail and Thunderbird help pages don't quite explain
> things well enough and don't really match up with what I'm seeing on
> the screen.)
>
> Likewise, for the outgoing SMTP server there is a drop-down box with a
> Gmail option using port 465, but again I am unsure of the proper SSL
> and authentication settings.
>
> I've tried various combinations of settings and making sure my
> password is correct, etc., but I can't get it right. Thunderbird is
> displaying error messages that I can't find on the screen and read
> with JAWS, but I know they're there.
>
> If anyone has set up a similar type of Gmail account within
> Thunderbird and can help with the proper settings I will truly
> appreciate it!
>
> Thanks,
> Duane

Archived on the World Wide Web at