From:
John Wiseman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 09:31:10 -0400

If I read Melissa Picchini's message correctly, gluten-free breads are not
acceptable as communion hosts; when you consider that an individual's health
is at risk, I find this absolutely appalling!  After all, it is the mystery
of Transubstantiation that is important, so what does it matter whether the
bread is gluten-free or not?  What I do not understand are the thought
processes that would lead to such fine, and fatuous, decisions.

Things may be stricter in the US, but I know of one church, here, where rice
crackers may be used as a substitute for the unleavened bread.  In fact, I
cannot think of any valid reason why all communion hosts could not be made of
gluten-free bread; while this would matter little to non-celiacs, celiacs
would be spared the unhappiness they experience when they are denied access to
one of the most important sacraments.  Someone should point this out to those
who make the rules in the Church.

Incidentally, it my understanding that, in churches where commmunion may be
taken under both species (bread and wine), taking just the wine constitutes
reception of the sacrament.
                                John Wiseman