From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 1995 12:48:58 -0400

Recently I asked Albert Fornace of our mailing list to try to find a
particular study using Medline. While he did not find the study I was
looking for, he forwarded the following which I thought would interest the
rest of the list.

UI  - 92175590
AU  - Arnason JA ; Gudjonsson H ; Freysdottir J ; Jonsdottir I ;
      Valdimarsson H
TI  - Do adults with high gliadin antibody concentrations have
      subclinical gluten intolerance?
LA  - Eng
MH  - Adult ; Antibodies/*ANALYSIS ; Celiac Disease/*IMMUNOLOGY ;
      Comparative Study ; Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay ; Female ;
      Gliadin/*IMMUNOLOGY ; Human ; IgA/*ANALYSIS ; IgG/*ANALYSIS ;
      Male ; Middle Age
RN  - 0 (Antibodies) ; 0 (IgA) ; 0 (IgG) ; 9007-90-3 (Gliadin)
PT  - JOURNAL ARTICLE
AB  - Gliadin antibodies of the IgG and IgA isotypes and IgG subclasses
      were measured in 200 adults who were randomly selected from the
      Icelandic National Register. Those with the highest gliadin
      antibody concentrations were invited with negative controls to
      participate in a clinical evaluation. Neither the study subjects
      nor the physicians who recorded and evaluated the clinical
      findings were aware of the antibody levels. Significantly higher
      proportion of the gliadin antibody positive individuals reported
      unexplained attacks of diarrhoea (p = 0.03), and IgA gliadin
      antibodies were associated with increased prevalence of chronic
      fatigue (p = 0.0037). The gliadin antibody positive group also
      showed significantly decreased transferrin saturation, mean
      corpuscular volume and mean corpuscular haemoglobin compared with
      the gliadin antibody negative controls. Serum folic acid
      concentrations were significantly lower in the IgA gliadin
      antibody positive individuals. On blind global assessment 15 of
      the 48 participants were thought to have clinical and laboratory
      features that are compatible with gluten sensitive enteropathy,
      and 14 of these were in the gliadin antibody positive group (p =
      0.013). Complaints that have not been associated with gluten
      intolerance had similar prevalence in both groups with the
      exception of persistent or recurrent headaches that were more
      common in the gliadin antibody positive group. These findings
      raise the possibility that a subclinical form of gluten
      intolerance may be relatively common.
AD  - Department of Immunology, National University Hospital,
      Reykjavik, Iceland.
SO  - Gut 1992 Feb;33(2):194-7