VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2021 10:36:03 -0700
Brian,

Part of the problem you're having with Narrator and the context menu has
to do with how the screen reader works when in and out of scan mode.

Of course, you know that you turn scan mode on and off by pressing caps
lock + space. Scan mode is what we think of as review mode or screen
reader mode: When scan mode is on, Narrator makes it easy to move around
the screen so we can "see" everything, but the computer doesn't always
behave the way we expect. For example, when you're in your email reader
with scan mode off, pressing down-arrow moves you from one message to
another, but when you're in your email reader with scan mode on,
pressing down-arrow moves you through the header of one message (i.e.,
sender, recipient, time stamp, subject) before moving on to the header
of the next message. On top of that, when scan mode is off, pressing
enter on a message opens it, but when scan mode is on, pressing enter on
a message does nothing.

In the case of the Jeff Dreams site, turning scan mode on makes it
possible to jump from heading to heading with the letter h, but while
scan mode is on, pressing the context key does nothing because
technically nothing has focus. If you turn scan mode off and tab to the
title (like I described in my last post), pressing the context key opens
up the context menu so you can down-arrow to Save As, then press enter
there to download your movie.

Hope this helps.

Ciao