VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2019 13:45:47 -0500
Dan

If I were in the business of supporting or training people, I would
probably follow your lead.  But, as a user not beholden to anyone but
myself, I follow that if something works for me, why change.
When a website or something seems not to give me what I want or need,
then I move to an alternate browser for that; and, yes, over time, the
migration is away from IE for me.
But if IE allows me to do something better than something else for me, it
would be foolish to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Yes, for someone new or who requires handholding, then what you advocate
is the way to go.
But the beauty here is that one size needn't fit all; and I use technology
to get done what I need or want to get done and I'm not in thb business of
learning technology for it's own sake.
As you might guess, I am not an early adopter, in most instances, and the
reason for that is that, in the past, when I followed that approach, I was
spending more time mastering new stuff than using it.
If one makes a living by serving customers or advising others, then, yes,
what you say makes a lot of sense both for the user and the advisor as it
allows you to be more ifficient not having to customize solutions.

It's nothing more than a perspective.
And, I would be the first to agree that IE's days are numbered; but
probably the same could be said for Firefox and Chrome as almost all
software seems to face
eventualy becoming obsolete.

As an illustration of how this evolution has evolved in my online life, I,
for a long time avoided Chrome.
Then, when I couldn't get MLB's Gameday Audio to function smoothly with
Firefox and IE, I was forced to Chrome.
Once I began using Chrome for that, I discovered other things that it
seems to work better for me in doing.
So, right now, all 3 browsers have a place in my browsing life subject to
change, of course.
And each seems to handle special things in a way I am most comfortable or
efficient with.

I certainly wouldn't advise a new to browsers person to adopt that
approach -- and, quite honestly, I would be the wrong person to advise
someone like that.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]