VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2020 18:39:27 -0800
By default, Word and Excel 2019 open into the start screen. This welcome
center offers us templates for different types of documents/worksheets.
The first option is Blank; that's where you press enter for a plain old
blank file, like you'd get when you open word/Excel 2010.

You can get rid of this start screen by going into Files, then Options,
and tabbing from general. The option says something like, "use start
screen" or "open on start screen."

Since we're on the subject, Word and Excel 2019 show a similar abundance
of options when you try to save a file. If you want to keep things
simple, like in 2010, go into Files, then Options, then down-arrow to
Save, then tab to three different options. Check Don't Show Backstage;
uncheck Show Additional Places for Saving; and check Save to Computer by
Default. These options are right next to one another. After the third is
where you browse for the folder where you want to save the files. I
think they're saved to One Drive by default, so you may need to play
around with that.