VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2019 02:31:44 -0500
Hi all,

Using windows 10 version 1809, on a windows desktop.

For the heck of it, I took Windows speech recognition for a spin, with
Jaws, NVDA, and, with Narrator. Oh is this fun!

With Jaws, I'm using Jaws 2018, August update, so things might be better
by this time, if you're using Jaws 2019!

It works fantastic, with NVDA, and, with Narrator, but not as good with
Jaws 2018!

This is how I did it, and you can try it yourself, and you'll see what I
mean!

The commands I used were:

"go to desktop".

"press f".

I said that command, because I have several icons that start with f, and
I had to say that till it found favorites.

When I found favorites, I said

"press enter"

In my list of favorites, I said

"press a l"

When I said that, it found the all news and views web page, and it spoke
it in NVDA and Narrator, but not with jaws.

Then I said

"press enter"

It opened it.

Then, I was using internet explorer for this test, for both screen readers.

When it loaded the web page, I said

"press down arrow"

It read a new line of text, each time I said that command with NVDA and
Narrator, but not with jaws.

I could read all the way down the web page, if I wanted to!

I found a link on the web page to test it with, so, I said

"press enter"

and it opened the link to the article I wanted.

Then, I said

"press alt f4"

It didn't say desktop, so, I said

"go to desktop"

and it went there.

then I said

"press d  o c"

and it said documents.

then I said

"press enter"

and it opened it.

then I said

"press down arrow"

I said that, till I found a file I wanted to test it with.

When I found it, I said

"press enter"

it opened the file!

Then I said

"press down arrow"

and it read a line at a time with both NVDA and with Narrator, but not
with jaws.

I could say that, all the way through the document if I wanted to!

I could not get it to read all the way through the document, by saying
press insert down arrow, or saying, read document.

Then, I said

"start word pad"

It opened it, and I had a new document window.

So then, I said a few lines of text, with punctuation, and it worked. It
repeated back what I typed, folks, and I don't have dragon naturally
speaking, or dictation bridge, on this computer. I just have Windows
speech recognition on this computer!!! It did repeat to me what I typed
with both scrreen readers, but not with Jaws.

I could have typed a whole document with my voice if I wanted to.

Anyway, very nice, what it did do, it did it, very well, with both
Narrator and NVDA!

If you want to try it yourself, with using all the speech recognition
commands, many more than I have said here, the link to the web page is

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12427/windows-speech-recognition-commands

When that page loads, press h and you'll be on the first heading, and
just read from there.

If you haven't set up speech recognition yet, then you can click the
first link you'll see when you're reading, titled

use speech recognition.

enjoy, I sure am!

Harry

Archived on the World Wide Web at