VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2018 06:01:55 -0500
All:

How  new content is displayed when you click on a link  depends on your
settings.  You can look at the Tools menu in your browser and go to the
options submenu to see where the  setting for whether the new content opens
in a new window or in a new tab or in the same window.  The exact options
and location varies on which browser you are using.  Having said this, some
pages seem to be coded to limit where the new content opens.  Sometimes, you
can  use the numpad key that is the equivalent of the right mouse button to
see what.  In either case, the options may be limited, sometimes by the
coding or because the options are limited -- i.e. press that button and
arrow through the options that are provided through this right mouse
equivalent button.  Alternatively, sometimes, the applications button  on
the main portion of the standard keyboard can be used to open the list of
options available for a given link.

My experience on using either the right mouse button equivalent or the
applications key doesn't seem to work  consistently, so you may need to play
with it a bit.

I have found that the Yahoo.com search site has a problem with opening
links, as has been described .    Without having examined the code, I
believe that there is something about the code itself, or something about
the location of the code that causes the screen reader to announce the link
improperly.  My recommendation for this problem is to tab to the link
because, I found that arrowing to the link seems to  get and convey the
wrong information to the user.    Somewhat related is the use of the auto
forms mode -- I do not use it as the default because it means that the user
is navigating  the page  using the arrows most of the time  and thereby the
user will experience the problems I mention  with Yahoo more frequently.  In
addition, code for some pages can yield ambiguous or confusing information
when the user encounters multiple controls in close proximity,  especially
when  explicit labeling is not always used.

Re opening web attached files rather than saving them, the user needs to
make sure that the PDF  reader and the browser are set * not to open the
file in the browser*.  I have  had difficulty  navigating and reading files
that open in the browser window, so I just avoid it entirely.

I use JAWS, so my comments may not apply to NVDA at this time.

Remember, that some web pages are coded to prevent the user from navigating
the site in certain ways, so we just have to waste time figuring out what
works with those sites.  Personally, I tend to avoid those sites unless
there is something special that I want or need there... sometimes,
contacting the site webmaster can get them to make changes.

Stan