VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2022 09:38:34 -0700
The thing about Mcafee (like all other antivirus software that I know) is that you can't remove it while it is actually running. However, the antivirus software is designed to start up whenever the computer starts up and the controls to turn off the software are not very accessible to blind and visually impaired users.

What this means in practice is that to remove the software, you will have to keep it from starting up in the first place before attempting to delete it. This can be done under the Start settings on the System Configuration menu (you can search for it on your computer). Once you have blocked Mcafee from starting when your system boots up (you'll have to do a reboot to finish the process), then you should be able to delete the program using your APS menu in the Systems menu (Ctrl+I) (if memory serves, Mcafee does not appear in the Programs and features menu in the control panel).

If you need specific step-by-step instructions on how to do all of this (it would be from Windows 10 because that's what I'm using), please let me know and I'll prepare one for the list.

--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides, if not more.