VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2019 21:51:10 -0800
Hmm, the only explanation I can think of for why pressing alt+f4 would
bring up Firefox on a Windows machine is that the keyboard might be
operating in a different language. This is a long rambling explanation,
but I get to the point eventually.

I sometimes type Spanish, so I have set my computer up to switch between
English and Spanish input. When I press left shift plus left alt, the
keyboard layout changes, and so does the language Windows thinks I'm
using. Sometimes I accidentally change the input by holding left shift
or left alt down too long.

Also, by default, Windows 10 tries to guess which language you're using,
so the input language can change without my doing much of anything. For
example, I'm on a knitting list, and sometimes when I write a snippet
from a pattern that includes yarn overs, abbreviated "yo," Windows
changes the input language because it thinks I'm writing the Spanish
word "yo." I don't remember where you go to change that. I know I did it
for Office, but I don't remember if I did it for Windows in general.

Anyway, when the input language is not the default system language, the
system behaves normally when you press the left alt key, but it adds
ctrl when you press the right alt key. In other words, when my input is
set to Spanish, pressing left alt+F4 closes the current program, but
pressing right alt+F4 is like pressing ctrl+alt+F4, which may be my
Firefox hotkey.