VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Duane Farrar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Farrar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2018 10:48:38 -0400
Hi All,

I was compacting my Mozilla Thunderbird mail folders when my desktop
decided to spontaneously reboot itself. (It does this from time to time
and I suspect a conflict between JAWS and either the sound or graphics
hardware. Other option is the computer is simply a hunk of junk.) It was
in the process of compacting the Inbox folder when this happened. When I
reopened Thunderbird, while some of the older messages were still
intact, the majority consisted of only what I will call a "pointer"
along the lines of the following:

mailbox:///C:/Users/Duane%20Farrar/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/syuquqis.default/Mail/pop.mindspring.com/Inbox?number=11988

Some messages still retained at least their header information (To,
From, Subject, Date, etc.) along with a pointer, but most are simply the
pointer. However, my daughter tells me that she can see this header
information for all of the messages in the Message List pane, which I
cannot read with JAWS 17 and the current version of Thunderbird.

So, I suspect the message data is still somewhere on my hard drive. I've
played around with it for most of this morning but have not yet
successfully retrieved the messages. Thunderbird does not seem to have a
repair utility. I *think* there is a Thunderbird backup dating from
September 20 that exists that perhaps I could restore from, but I don't
know the steps required to do the restore. (I came across this when I
was trying to directly open the messages using the file path above, but
that didn't work, either.)

Thoughts or suggestions anyone? And, no, I don't have a recent hard
drive backup to restore from, which is my own fault so bad on me.

Thanks,
Duane

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]