VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2017 08:54:41 -0500
From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
It sounds like a great deal to me. If it were me, I'd go for it. Of
course, it depends a lot on what you're doing with it though. If you're
reading email, surfing the web, doing some editting, updating social
media, listening to some audio then I think it'll be fine, even with 8G
of RAM. If you'll be doing more, like running virtual machines, running
a database, compiling your own applications, converting a lot of audio
and video, doing these types of things in parallel or working with huge
spread sheets then you may want more RAM and an I7 processor. If you
won't be doing these things then I think the additional RAM and an I7
processor wouldn't be the best use of your money. IMHO, it would mostly
just end up being unused resources.

Right now I have a six year old laptop with an I5 processor, 8G of RAM
and a 500G hard drive. I use this laptop to check email, stream audio
and video from the web, do some web surfing and some social media
updating, run a virtual machine, compile some applications and convert
some audio and video, and I find it more than adequate for those tasks.
I also dual boot between Windows and Linux.

I am thinking about a new laptop myself, and I may jump up to 16G but
that's not a definite yet. I'll definitely get a larger hard drive
mostly because virtual machines take up a lot of hard drive space. I'm
planning on sticking with an i5 because I'm not sure I need the power of
an I7, but that may change as I start doing some research. Right now the
Dell XPS 13 looks interesting to me, although given my experience with
Dell at the office, I kind of told myself I'd never get a Dell machine
for personal use.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail