VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2017 15:43:55 -0400
Hi Pratik,

I hear you, so, here's the problem.

Right now, a blind person cannot go to a store, and buy a windows
computer, and bring it home, and it works out of the box, and reads
everything.

This is absolutely, immoral.

Now NVDA is fabulus! It's too bad that NVDA has to be downloaded by the
user.

I guess what we'll have to tell blind people is, "don't buy a windows
pc. Instead, buy a Mac, because with it, at least, you have a fully
functioning screen reader.

There's nothing else to say! If there is another solution, I have no
idea what it is. If Microsoft really doesn't care, then, we're back to
square 1, right where we started, with nothing for windows, from out of
the box.

I have the same attitude about this, that our friend David Goldfield had
about accessible antivirus.

I will say it again. Blind people should not have to pay, for a fully
functional screen reader, on a computer, when you go to the store and
buy the computer.

The problem with the mac is, all of it's password crap. I had tried a
Mac, 2 years ago, with OS10 Mavrix. Every time I put a program in, I had
to enter a password, so, I said, forget it.

I *love* windows, I just love it, but there is no way, that I can tell a
blind person, who has never had training, "Just go and buy a windows
computer, you can use it right out of the box." Because they cannot.

I absolutely  *love* the San Francisco lighthouses attitude on this, and
it's mine, right along with them, and, I will be talking with them,
probably today, and seeing how we can change this immorality. They also
say, "we believe a blind person should not have to pay for a fully
functional screen reader for windows, nor should they have to download
and install it."

It's amazing, folks, this is 2017, and we still, have not, solved this
problem, I'm just blown away by that.

Harry