VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2017 16:18:31 -0700
Hi All,

I promise I'll stop with this topic, but there's just so much here.

First, I finally got braille to work with Narrator, and Narrator both
speaks and displays the message list in Thunderbird 45. NVDA also does
both. I'll check my lapptop and Thunderbird 52 later, but since NVDA
does both and Narrator speaks, I'm guessing Narrator will produce
braille as well. So the problem is Jaws 18, which doesn't play nice with
the message list in Thunderbird 52 or 45, and maybe Jaws 17 as well,
which doesn't play nice with the message list in Thunderbird 52.

Second, having Narrator produce braille is a big moment. I got a little
teary. I'm still working things out. I've got a little Seika with a
Perkins keyboard and a big Seika without. The big Seika is the one that
is hooked up to my computer. I can't seem to type with the regular
qwerty keyboard while braille is active. I'll need to figure out how to
change this. I should probably read the manual, but I'm operating under
the false belief that it's quicker to just muddle around.

Third, I think the offer of a free Windows 10 update is still available.
The official website doesn't have an expiration date, and I'm sure I
read a mainstream article about this published within the last two
months. The offer page is here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Fourth, when you run the update using the Windows Update Assistant, the
first thing that happens is you get a diagnostic that tells you whether
you can update based on your memory, hardware, and disk space. One of
the screen readers doesn't read the last item so if you hear that your
memory is OK and your hardware is OK, but you aren't able to update,
then you need to free up disk space by running Disk Clean-UP,
uninstalling stuff, and using Disk Clean-Up to remove system files.

Fifth, the update process is blind friendly, but it's a good idea to
have a sighted person nearby just in case. I updated a few computers
from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and I've taken a few more computers through
the 8, 8.1, and various 10 updates. In all but two cases, I was able to
start Narrator (Windows+enter or ctrl+Windows+enter) and finish setup on
my own. In one case, speech got muted, and a sighted person had to
unmute it. In another, I had trouble navigating the screen where you
create your Microsoft account; this was a while ago, so the process may
be easier now, and of course, if you create the account ahead of time or
already have it, life should be good.

If the computer is old, the Windows 10 update might be a good excuse for
buying a new one, especially if the current one is something of a diva.

Happy Easter to all.

Ciao