From:
Diane Dufault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 19:48:07 CDT

>Not medical advice
>gastrocrom is an oral form of cromalyn sodium, which better known as an
>asthma mediaction. It prevents one of the common allergy cells ( mast
>cells) from releasing its packet of nasty chemicals in response to some
>allergen.  Once an allergic response has happened it doesnot stop it.
>The oral form Gastrocrom is used by some to reduce food allergies.  There
>is very little research to  prove that it is effective in this way. It
>certainly has no role in treating celiac disease as the mechanism for the
>damage of celiac disease is not blocked by this agent.
>Joe Murray

Are there side effects of using this?  My son, who was diagnosed with Celiac
Sprue and Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis was put on this.  He was just
biopsied again and had some other tests done for reflux, as he has had
chronic pneumonia and sinusitis.  His results showed the vili are not
flattened anymore, but he still showed eosinophilia in most of the biopsies
from top to bottom.  Thus, they put him on zantac, propulsid and
Gastrochrom.  His upper respiratory flem has disapeared for the first time
in his life.  However, his stomach is awful.  He has severe stomach pain,
and chronic diahrea again multiple times a day.  His stools look as if they
are laced with large amounts of flem also.  Any thoughts?