From:
MRS JOANNE R EGGLESTON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 17:50:32 EDT

After speaking w/Quaker today regarding their rice cakes I would like
to pass along this information.  I have routinely contacted this
company every three months to again verify which rice cakes are GF
and which are NOT GF.  After feeling ill for the past week and my
mother being sick for almost two weeks, I decided to recontact them
again to verify GF status etc.  But, this time, I also wanted to know
how they process the rice cakes.

To my astonishment, I was told, yes they run ALL of their rice cakes
on the same line.  She assured me though that the line was cleaned
well between each rice cake that was run.  Well, for those of you out
there who don't believe you can pick up still TRACE contamination you
are VERY WRONG! Both of us are examples. We are back to feeling well
again since avoiding their rice cakes. (My mom was consuming them
right and left. For me it took about 3/4 of a mini bag of the white
cheddar flavor to make me very ill.

Then to top this off, it still gets worse. She also told me because
of the large volume of grain they import in, they can't be sure that
their supplies haven't accidentally gotten wheat in with corn, or
wheat in with the brown rice!! That's even scarier! Imagine eating a
whole kernal of wheat in your popcorn rice cake! UGH UGH!!

Diana