From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 02:21:21 EST

We did not explicitly deal with the issue of commercial advertising in light
of the original intent of the Internet charter to support "educational and
research activities".

As listowners we need to make sure the list is not a free forum for commercial
ads.  The enforcement of this "rule" is not a trivial matter in the celiac
field, where so much of what we discuss is by necessity oriented around
commerical brand names.

We think that the important distinction is that we want to AVOID SELF-PROMOTION
of commercial products.  If a listmember, unaffiliated with company X, wants to
write "Company X has an excellent GF muffin" that is perfectly OK....that is
just the type of information this list is set up to distribute.

If a listmember who is affiliated with company X writes "We are testing a new
recipe and would like to send out free product to interested people, with no
obligation".....this is much closer to the line but seems OK to us, since no
solicitation is being made.

The listowners will privately email anyone who sends a post which steps close
to, or over the line, to request that no future posts be self-promotional.
In the unlikely event that a listmember continues to advertise after being
warned, they will be removed from the list.  Our experience to date has been
that the vendors who are list members have been excellent sources of
information on maintaining GF diets, and when asked, have been careful not to
venture into self-promotion.

If any further comments are required, please direct them directly to the
listserv owners:

IDs: Mike Jones, [log in to unmask]          Bill Elkus, [log in to unmask]

Bill Elkus
Mike Jones