VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tony Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2018 07:47:25 -0400
Catherine, can I assume that you are using Acrobat  Reader DC  to read PDF
documents with tables? If so, I've found the results mixed, though much more
reliable than Kurzweil and Open Book. The issue though is that the
assumption by service agencies and government entities that all PDF
documents are accessible is misguided and that it satisfies accessibility
requirements. I wouldn't want the courts to accept this as fact.

Working with a local college which was receiving complaints from visually
impaired students  regarding the posting of inaccessible PDF documents, I
suggested that the staff post html documents instead, and that seemed to
satisfy everyone. As has been mentioned, the great strength of PDF is
document security. True, html can be hacked, but not easily. I suspect,
however,  that the ultimate answer is adopting Epub as a standard.