VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2019 07:16:09 -0500
Jeff:

Collaboration is the best way to work on these issues because  the designer/developers can see what the problem is when they are collaborating with  the user.  If you use the JAWS key command/combination, Insert + F3, it will bring up the JAWS "HTML list of     elements on a web page.  There are around 20 of these HTML elements listed and then you can select one of those elements to find and list on the page.  This utility should work  on a PDF  document if properly tagged and designed.  It may also  work on a MS Outlook message  if the message is in an HTML format.

So, you can select  from the list of HTML elements listed and by pressing the enter key on the one you want and that will list all of those elements on the page,  for example all the buttons, checkboxes, or links.  This will allow you to see if there are links that  use a tag that tells JAWS and you that the button is a link, or that the link is called a button.    some people doing design and coding don't realize what they are doing will create big problems.

For you to check for the miscoding, you can get JAWS to list all the links and compare that list with the list of buttons  and you will be able to pick out the faulty code.  Tell this to the people and they can fix it and avoid doing this in the future.  This is something that can be a problem for sighted people as well because they may see the text on the page that doesn't match with the element that they are told to use.

They will  probably thank you for bringing this to their attention, or at least they should because if they don't they will be wasting their time and money as well as that of other users  and their company.

Try a page where you have had the problem and see what you get.   Let me know what you find; I'll be interested.

Good luck
Stan