CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Todd Sorensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:20:51 EST

I know as a mother it is heartbreaking to have a child with a medical
condition that restricts their social life!   In our case it was the
Grandparents (!) that refused to understand and cooperate with the diet.
Patience and persistence are your best allies, along with a good dose of
humor.  Invite your friend over for lunch with you and feed her something
you know is on HER forbidden foods list (chocolate and lots of calories
maybe?)

All kidding aside, remember to put your child's situation in the proper
perspective:  I have not heard a single report of someone dying from one
incidence of ingesting gluten.  Yes, your child will be very ill, but
only for a time.  Most of the adult celiacs of today were the undiagnosed
wheat-eating children of yesterday (myself included.)  I may be shorter
and fairer skinned than I might have been if the doctors had caught my
condition in early childhood . . . but I am alive nonetheless.

You are doing a great job as nutritionist, educator, protector and
comforter for your child!  Expect periodic failures, celebrate the
recipes that don't flop, and teach your children that life is much more
than food!

Danelle Sorensen
Kansas City, KS, USA