VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2016 00:07:02 -0400
Hi all,
Using jaws 17, windows 10, and firefox 49.1.
I finally got how to add a bookmark and delete a bookmark in firefox,
and as usual, wrote that down, and put it into my computer notebook folder.
Here's the problem, with firefox 21 and later, they use a media codec on
your computer, and when you click on a download link for an mp3 file,
the file plays, and it dowsn't download.
I have been all over the web and I got onto firefox help web pages.
one page said, to type about:config in the address bar, and then look
for something that says windows media windows audio, and I did that,
couldn't find it at all!
Then, I read a firefox support page that said to go to options, which I
did, and found the list box, and down arrowed to applications. Then, the
support page said to look for the file type, which in this case is .mp3,
and then, find the application, and there is no file type list.
What a mess! They did not have this problem till they got the brilliant
idea to make firefox 21 and later, play the file, and not download it.
So, you might as well stick with internet explorer for everything,
except if you're going to listen to an audio stream that uses winamp.
This goes to show all of us that sometimes newer versions of programs
are not better, and of course, we all know that, because I've heard many
computer users tell me, exactly that.
At least I can download with internet explorer 11, with no problems.
Harry

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]