VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rebecca DeGeorge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rebecca DeGeorge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2017 11:41:28 -0500
On 8/24/17, Brian <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [...]
> are playing in to hand of the astablihment.  They are beleiving their
> lies that somthing can't be made more accessable because of the high
> cost.  We have seen clear example of how other countries have done more
> when it comes to greater accessability then we have.  But we say we
> can't thats just to bad and we have to just except what we can't
> change.  How are the newly blind going to feel about this logic?  Might
> this greatly increase their depression and feelings that they just want
> to give because what's the use of any advocacy it won't work.  We are
> told that we can't have more braille because of the cost and number of
> readers.  We are told that we can't have greater accessability in major
> concumer products and softwhear because of the high cost and few number
> of the blind.  If this mentality and very negative attitude in the blind
> community does not change then we will just keep on loosing our
> accessability more and more by the day at worp speed. We need great and
> more advocacy now more then ever but both Acb and Nfb will never do this
> if it is not what they want it will never happen.  they are just good
> old boy groops with very littel value or effectiveness.  They wunder why
> they are having membership problems well the younger blind will look at
> them and say why should I join them what have they or what are they
> going to do for the blind of this country.  Is this the worldyou signed
> up for?  Well I did not sign up for it.  Do you really want to know why
> other disabilities have greater accessability the than the blind?  Well
> I'll tell you the answer is that they keep on advocate for what they
> want until they get it they don't give up like the blind.  The deaf have
> close captioningHow much dvs do we have not as much as the Uk.  how much
> braille and general accessability do we have/  If they can do it then so
> can we. Whear's ther's a will there's a way but the blind communityhas
> yet to learn that.  They agree with the lies of the sighted it can't be
> done I say and why not?  We will weak up day to find that we have no
> accessability at all because we did not keep on advocate for it I hope
> that you are okay with that because I am not.  It does not matter what
> email list I post on or what issue I advocate for it's always the same
> tired old attitude it can't be done because of the cost.  Most of the
> blind don't need it.  If I don't need it then why shouldit happen.  So
> the needs of some of the blind community are just not important enough
> to justify the cost.I am not very happy with the blind community n fact
> I am ashamed of them.  Weak up people andsmell the coffee and see the
> writting on the wall before it's to late.  I have been tring to light a
> fire in the blind community on verious email list but to no avail I just
> get bashed.  I will just keep on doing it and I will not stop until I
> see changes or I get baned from every list.

So, how do you propose we advocate? It's one thing to say we in the
blind community need to do so, and we can, if we wish, disparage or
support the current advocacy organizations, but what do you, Brian,
propose? How do we begin?

conn re ACB and NFB. That's a totally separate issue in my way of
thinking.

This has turned out to be a most thought-provoking thread, though it
certainly is wandering away from the tech aspect.