VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 13:16:30 -0700
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out how to use dictation in Windows 10, but the
information I'm finding isn't helping, so I'm hoping someone here uses
it and can get me started.

I've read the official Microsoft help, but the steps don't match what's
on my system, and the process isn't working, so I'm clearly missing
something obvious.

Based on what I'm reading, the first step seems to be to set up the
microphone. I found that, if I just type "Windows speech recognition" in
the start/search box, the microphone setup wizard comes up. This is not
working on my desktop, even with microphones that I know work. I'll try
it on my laptop next.

The next step seems to be to turn on speech recognition so the computer
is listening all the time. Is this write? Do I just move an arrow key so
the computer knows which program I'm using, then say, "Wake up" or maybe
it's "start listening," and start dictating?

Yes, I know about dictation Bridge, and yes, I plan to try it, but I
feel like I don't know what I need to do before I can start with that,
and yes, I visited the Dictation Bridge site to find out if there's
general help on getting Windows speech working. Or does everything just
work if I use the NVDA addon?

I'd love any help.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at