VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2017 16:52:11 -0400
Hi all,

Well folks, Saturday night, I was off the computer again. I have a ham
radio, and when my computer is plugged into the surge protector, it
terribly causes a noise so bad, that I can't hear anything on my radio.

So, I unplugged the computer from the surge protector, and used the
radio, and I pressed the wrong button on the radio, so it would not
work, unfortunately, by accident, so, I had to go back into the manual
for the radio. So, I could learn how to correct the problem.

So, I plugged my computer back into the surge protector, then, turned on
the computer, and thought, "ok, so I'll have speech, and get into this
radios manual." Wrong, when I turned on the computer, again, I had no
sound from the sound card. So, I called my computer guy, Rick, here in
town, and he came over and got the computer, and took it home, and he
called me, and I told him, "Rick, try doing what I did, do a regular
shut down, and unplug the computer from the outlet. So, he did, and what
do ya know. It went from speakers, to the monitor, by itself. Windows,
reset itself. So, he fixed it, and got it so it only turned on the
speakers. So, I have learned, unfortunately, that I cannot unplug my
computer from an outlet, whether on a surge protector, or, from the wall
outlet, (I strongly recommend that all computer users, plug their
computer into a surge protector). I can, however, unplug the power cord
from the back of the computer, and it's fine.

Anyone ever have that problem?

So, I did what I usually do, made a note of it in my computer notebook
folder.

Harry, who is just happy to be back on the computer!

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]