VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:35:20 -0700
Hi All,

I just participated in the 2020 Census by filling out the online form.
I'll lay out the process here in this post.

This week (mid March), I received a mailing from the U.S. Census. The
envelope is roughly the size of a half sheet of letter writing paper,
similar to an AT&T phone bill. It contains two sheets of paper. One is a
letter for the residents of your street address. The other is
information about participating if you speak another language. The
letter, though very generic, is important. Your census ID number is
printed on it to the right of your mailing address. The ID number is
made up of twelve characters (both letters and numbers) and is printed
in large type below the fold in the page. You need this number to log
into the online form. I haven't found any information about other (more
accessible) ways to get it though the census literature does say you can
respond to the questionnaire over the phone. The back of the letter
(i.e., what's inside the fold) has basic instructions, which you can
read online.

As directed by the letter, I visited the census website at

https://my2020census.gov

At the beginning of the page is a link telling screen reader users that
the best experience comes from the latest Jaws and Internet Explorer. A
little further down is another link to help screen reader users figure
out what they're running. I used Chrome with Jaws, and that worked just
fine. I also tried Chrome with Narrator, and as long as I started after
the link for checking the screen reader and browser combination, things
seemed to work well, so I'm guessing NVDA would work too.

Logging in and responding to the questionnaire was pretty
straightforward. To log in, you enter 4 characters into three edit
fields; as you type, focus moves automatically from field to field, so
you don't have to worry about tabbing to the right place. The first
screen asks you to verify your street address, which is linked to your
census ID number. Then you activate a Get Started button, and you're
off. Most screens have only one question. Controls are clearly labeled,
and the screen reader correctly announces which option is marked and
what text you've entered into edit boxes. When you're done, you can
activate a Print/Save button to download a PDF of the confirmation screen.

So ... if you can access your Census ID number by using OCR, a visual
assistance service, or sighted help from someone you know, participating
in the census is very accessible.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]