VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Tevelde <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Tevelde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2017 19:03:24 -0600
Hello Rebecca,
Here are some things you might try to get a better experience with Audible.  You can try browsing the mobile site on your computer, you can search for books within the Audible app if you have an iPhone, or you can go to the Audible mobile site from your iPhone and look at your library, and anything else you might want to do.
The basic problem you might be having with Audible is that the site is so busy with unnecessary junk, that it is hard to skip past it when you use a screenreader.  JAWS and NVDA have a hard time going in and out of forms mode so your keystrokes aren't being passed through to the site.      Unfortunately, Audible doesn't have any specific tech support for the blind, and their phone support is limited at best.  For example, when I put a book on my wish list which I accidentally downloaded to my iPhone, they wouldn't help me with anything related to using their site with a screenreader.  I also believe you can't place orders over the phone either.  I think more advocacy should be done with Audible considering that NLS is purchasing more and more of their books.  You could wait and see if NLS makes a book available which you want to read.  You could save yourself the money having to buy it.
I hope this information is helpful.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone