VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019 20:09:17 -0700
I'll start by saying that I had no trouble starting Narrator on my new
Surface Pro 6 tablet with type cover. First, I'll describe the tablet a
little. Then I'll get to my question about changing the system language
during setup.

The Surface Pro is basically a slab of glass. It's a little smaller than
a sheet of letter writing paper and about half an inch or 1 cm thick.
One long side has a groove, and the other long side has the power and
volume controls. One short side has a couple of ports, including an SD
card slot. The other short side seems to have the headphone jack and
another SD card slot.

The one I bought was bundled with a type cover, which is a thin portable
keyboard that doubles as a screen protector of sorts. The keyboard is
like cardboard covered with flannel. The keys are very flat, but they
seem comfortable to type on . The keyboard has a long, narrow flap/tab
above the function keys, like someone folded the cardboard at the top
edge. This flap lays against the groove that's on the long side of the
tablet. When the tab rests in the groove, a magnet holds it in place so
you can lift and lower the keyboard like the cover of a book. When the
book is closed, the keyboard covers the tablet completely. When the
keyboard is open, you can just use it to type, provided the tab is in
its groove.

I connected the keyboard to the tablet, used the alt+ctrl+enter key
command, and Narrator came up loud and clear. The regular voice guided
setup did too. Good.

The problem is that the tablet isn't speaking English, and I don't know
how to change the language. Does anyone know how to make that happen?

When I started Narrator, I heard Canadian French, even though I bought
the unit directly from Microsoft. I live in the United States, and I
don't speak French, so I was stuck. Between the little I understood and
my relationship with Google Translate, I was able to tab to the Language
and Region box. I couldn't find United states, so I tried UK and Latin
American countries, but the tablet kept speaking French. With some more
trial and error, I found a box that said Canadian English, but pressing
enter there didn't change anything. This was a major surprise because I
have a dinky laptop that spoke Chinese when I turned it on for the first
time but switched to English when I found the language box.

I did call the Microsoft Disability Answer desk and was told to take it
to my local Microsoft Store, which is four hours away, so that was not
at all helpful. I'd rather not go through the hassle of returning it, so
if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

On 10/12/2019 2:34 PM, Ana G wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I've decided to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 6. I just ordered it. It
> comes with a Type cover, which I believe is the keyboard. I haven't
> done any Googling yet. I just decided to post here first.
>

> Is there anything special I need to do to start Narrator for set up?
> In other words, do I use controls on the tablet to start Narrator, or
> do I just position the keyboard for hookup and use the keyboard command?
>

> Thanks for any wisdom.
>

> Ciao
>

> ???? VICUG-L is the Visually Impaired Computer User Group List.
> Archived on the World Wide Web at
> ???? http://listserv.icors.org/archives/vicug-l.html
> ???? Signoff: [log in to unmask]
> ???? Subscribe: [log in to unmask]