IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2016 08:54:21 -0700
WHO is using "person with lived experience" now.  I was struck by the
move away from the brain disease, illness, DSM language!  Here in
Santa Cruz, we especially use that phrase instead of "the
homeless".  Now I'm wondering about the origin, the earliest use.

I know people-first language has a long history in the disability
movement (and is sometimes controversial), and I've heard 'person
with schizophrenia' preferred to calling someone schizophrenic.  But
the broad 'lived experience' phrase is newer to me in the peer context.

So, ideas about where this adoption started?  I did a bit of
Googling, see dates in this century, 2006, ...  Who, when, where?

(Replying to this IRIS email will come to me; thanks.)

Sylvia