VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2015 05:11:17 -0700
Hi to all.

Here are a few important points when deciding whether or not to follow Harry's advice:

1) While Windows 7 and 8 will be supported in the short term (2020 for Windows 7 and I have seen no announcement for Windows 8 yet), in the long term, both operating systems will be shunted aside as Microsoft works on the operating system that will replace Windows 10. When I say "shunted aside,", I mean that there will be no more updates for these systems after the dates they are scheduled to end, and no new computers you purchase will feature the older operating systems.

2) To add insult to injury (at least from Harry's perspective), if you don't take the free version of Windows 10 now, you *will* have to pay for it by the time you are forced to upgrade to it. For most blind people, that's money they really don't have.

3) Whether or not Microsoft "forces" you to install Windows 10 and install all updates after you get it depends on what version, Home or Professional, of Windows you are using. If you are using the Home version, Harry is correct. However, if you are using the slightly more expensive Professional version, then the choice of update installations in both your current version of Windows and Windows 10 will remain yours.

4) Finally, while Edge is currently not accessible, my understanding is that Microsoft is, in fact, working on correcting this issue.
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,
Well folks, I've been in the lurk mode, when it comes to windows 10, and
I even had, the get windows 10 app on my computer, and I had it in
system tray, (that notification area on your computer).
But then I found out some things, that I really didn't care for, about
windows 10, and so tonight, I finally found out, how to get rid of
windows 10, for good!
Here's why I don't want it:
1. In windows 10, Microsoft spies on you. That's right, what web sites
you go to, what emails you got, what files are on your computer.
I don't know about you, but yours truely has personal things I want
nobody to find out, about me. Nothing illegal, but just personal things.
It's none of there business what I say in my emails, and it's none of
their business, where I go on the web.
2. Did you know that Microsoft will force you to take all their updates
in windows 10? I mean, no choice folks, and even if you have windows 10
Ultimate, you can defer getting updates for so long, then they will put
these updates on your computer. Now that's great for the security
updates, you want to take those, but not new versions of programs that
are not accessible, like Edge, for instance, which is Microsoft's new
browser.
So, what to do?
Tonight, I got rid of that windows 10 app, that icon in my system tray,
that kept saying "get windows 10".
So, if you want to get rid of that app and icon on your Windows 8.1, 8,
or windows 7 computer like I did, do the following:
1. Go to control panel.
2. Then, press s till it says system link, then click system link.
3. Then, tab to windows update, and click it.
4. Then, tab to "view installed updates", or, myne said "installed updates."
5. A list of all your windows updates should pop up, and just down arrow
till you find this update, and it will be a windows security update, but
the thing to pay close attention to is the kb number, because you have
to know which one to uninstall.
The kb number to listen for is
KB3035583
Now, when you hear that kb number, click on it.
Windows will ask you if you want to uninstall this update.
Up arrow to yes, and press space bar or enter.
It will uninstall it, then, it will say it needs to restart your
computer, and just click the restart now button, or if it is just a yes
no choice, click yes.
When I did this, after my computer was restarted, I went to the system
tray, and sure enough, that "get windows 10" icon was gone!
So, there you have it, folks.
Now here's another thing everybody needs to know. If you have this "get
windows 10" icon on your computer, if you don't want windows 10 on your
computer, you need to do the above instructions, as soon as possible,
because without warning, Microsoft is automatically, putting windows 10
on peoples computers without there permission, because they have that
"get windows 10" icon in the system tray, meaning they have that windows
10 app, and Microsoft thinks anyone with that, wants and is ready to get
windows 10 on their computer, automatically downloaded and installed, on
their computer.
Now if you are using 10, and you decide that you want to go back to a
previous version of windows, you only have 30 days from the time windows
10 was installed on your computer, in which you can go back. If you
don't go back to your previous windows version in 30 days from the time
windows 10 was installed on your computer, they will not let you go
back, and you'll be stuck with windows 10.
Harry

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]