From:
Curtis Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2016 09:27:25 -0700
Hi guys. this should be of interest to all so am forwarding a local
club's information nation wide.

Forwarded by Curtis Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
 From:    CJ CBarC PIO <[log in to unmask]>
 To:      undisclosed-recipients:
 Date:    Fri, 13 May 2016 16:21:02 -0700
 Subject: CBARC - Highland, CA - High Altitude Balloon Launches and Amateur Radio Communication Use
----

Good afternoon everyone,

Yesterday I talked to a college friend who lives up in Colorado Springs, CO area. We got to talking about one of his hobbies with the group:

*Edge of Space Sciences*

    /*"What is EOSS*/
    /*Edge of Space Sciences*//is a Denver, Colorado based non-profit
    organization that promotes science and education by exploring
    frontiers in amateur radio and high altitude balloons.

    /Since its first flight in 1990, EOSS has grown its volunteer
    membership's numbers and skills over the course of more than 200
    launches, ascents into the stratosphere and payload recoveries.
    Today, it is widely recognized as one of the premier organizations
    in its field."
    /*
    "What We Do*/
    /Our members utilize amateur radio and balloons to advance
    scientific study of the upper atmosphere. We regularly work with
    educators, offering valuable opportunities to enhance their
    students' studies of science, mathematics and technology through
    real, hands-on experience.
    /
    /*EOSS* has conducted as many as thirteen balloon projects in a
    year, sending radio-equipped payloads deep into the stratosphere
    over eastern Colorado. Our typical apogee of 95,000 feet is above
    99% of the Earth's atmospheric mass, where the sky is black and the
    highest clouds remain far below. VHF and UHF radio signals
    transmitted from this height are received as far as 400 miles away!"

    *"Operational Systems*
    Standardized payloads, called "Shuttles" have been developed and are
    being refined to accommodate various experiments. Many of these
    experiments have been designed and built by students.

    *EOSS* has successfully launched AND recovered 65 payloads. Our
    "shuttles" are now equipped with GPS to assist in recovery efforts.
    We fly a variety of radio payloads on each flight. A two meter
    beacon on 147.555 MHz, a B&W (shuttle I) or Color (shuttle II) tv
    picture transmitted via ATV on 426.250 MHz, and a telemetry stream
    on packet radio at either 144.340 MHz. In addition to our electronic
    payload systems we also occasionally fly a 35mm still camera."

    /*Website:*//http://eoss.org/pubs/eossinfo/
    /

More uses for Amateur Radio. If you have interest check out their site, as mentioned above they are using many technologies within the Amateur Radio Bands. The planned next launch was scheduled for May 14th; but due to weather it has been rescheduled to May 21st with a backup date of May 22nd.

Enjoy and 73's,

/- Charlie/

Charles J Laudan
PIO