EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:51:39 -0400
> A question from a colleague - is the control+tab key supposed to act in
> the same way with iframes as it does with traditional frames? If not, are
> iframes now deemed to be inaccessible to keyboard users?

Hi Jennison,

In Firefox, Ctrl + Tab (and of course, Shift + Ctrl + Tab) are supposed to
move focus both to iframes and frames. Furthermore, Tab and Shift+Tab are
supposed to go through each frame and iframe in a frameset and through each
frame's focusable content.

How well this works in actual practice I cannot say, especially when adding
a screen reader into the equation. I am not sure about Internet Explorer. I
think Ctrl + Tab and (Shift + Ctrl + Tab) are the published hotkeys, but if
memory serves me correctly, sometimes you use F6 to move through frames in
one direction, and either Shift or Ctrl + F6 to move in the opposite
direction.

P.S. Don't get me started about the glut of hotkeys that we are supposed to
memorize. Most memorization should be unnecessary, but the need for so many
hotkeys is, in large measure, a consequence of how software is envisioned
and designed.

Alan

Alan Cantor
Cantor Access Inc.