IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:42:47 -0700
Prescriptions for Antidepressants Increasing among Individuals with
no Psychiatric Diagnosis

 From the PharmaLive.com News Archive - Aug. 04, 2011

Americans are no strangers to antidepressants. During the last 20
years the use of antidepressants has grown significantly making them
one of the most costly and the third most commonly prescribed class
of medications in the U. S. According to the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention, from 2005-2008 nearly 8.9 percent of the U.S.
population had at least one prescription in this drug class during
any given month.

(I thought physicians had to give a diagnosis, at least to get
insurance to reimburse.  So I'm wondering about this data.  Sylvia)