VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:52:18 -0700
Hi all,

I have a very large pdf (175 MB), which is watermarked. It's a textbook
I got from a publisher. The problem is that the file is so large I can't
really work with it.

does anyone know how to convert large pdfs to other formats?

I've tried opening it in Adobe Reader, but the free version only opens
files that are 100 mb or less. I would be satisfied with reading it in
chunks, but Adobe is slow and behaves strangely, so it's not a workable
solution for reading the textbook and coming back to it. The same thing
happens when I open it in word 2013. And when I try saving the file in
another format, either the program crashes or only saves the table of
contents.

I've tried opening the document and breaking it up into smaller chunks,
but that hasn't worked. I''ve even tried opening it in Open book, but it
crashes after a while.

Adobe Digital Editions seems to read it, but I'm having trouble
navigating to my page, etc., so if anyone can give me tips on how to use
ADE, my problem may be solved.

I've read that you can upload large pdfs to Google Docs and save them as
doc or rtf files, but the steps don't quite match what I'm finding, so I
don't know if the instructions are older or if I'm missing something
obvious.

I really want to read this file. It's the textbook I'll be teaching, and
it's 900 pages long, so scanning it will be a major chore.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]