From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 15:20:46 EST

At the request of another listmember (Portia), I corresponded with Mark A.
Stepper, Assistant Manager, Sales and Marketing of U.S.Mill, Inc. (617)
444-0440, which produces Erewhon Poppets cereal.  My son loves this cereal,
which is flavored puffed rice. We buy it at Mrs. Gooch's, an LA health food
chain, but I have seen it at other health food stores in the US and Canada.
Portia's son gets red ears after eating Poppets.

The cereal is NOT marked as gluten free, although none of the ingredients
appear suspicious, except  annatto coloring.  Mr. Stepper told me that to the
best of their knowledge, the cereal is gluten free.  As a matter of company
policy they do not mark anything gluten free our of fear of legal liability
(others have the same policy unfortunately)  He then faxed me the following:

----------------------------------
1/6/95
To whom it may concern:

We recently received an inquiry from your organization concerning the annatto
coloring used in Erehon Poppets cereal. I contacted our vendor and asked
whether the annatto extract supplied to our company contains either ethyl
alcohol and/or caramel color. I was told that they do not add either ethyl
alcohol or caramel color to their extract.

Best regards,
Mark A. Stepper, Assistant Manager, Sales and Marketing

This does not solve the red ear problem, but I wanted to share this
letter with others on the list who may have a concern about the
annatto in this product.
Bill Elkus