From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2016 10:19:52 -0400
Joe:

I once had an 817.  got very frustrated with it.
While using the qsyer will make the radio somewhat usable, the problem of
getting lost if you mistakenly hit a button remains.
There is no good way I have found to return yourself to a known set of
conditions.
Other than this flaw, the 817 can be used if you really want to.

The ft-897 and 897d are somewhat better in this regard, as at least there is
the dsp key which puts you into a known menu (menu o) the dsp menu.
from here you can turn the selection knob and count clicks.
There is still the problem of pushing a buttton and getting into an unknown
state.  However, the radio itself is bigger, and if you are careful, it can
be managed.

Finally, I have a kx3 from elecraft.
The rig is very accessible, especially if you know morse code.
Additionally, there is a device called the hampod, which is a talking keypad
that plugs into the radio's serial port and provides nearly 100%
accessibility.
It all depends on the portability you desire, and the amount of money you
have to spend.

A fully loaded kx3 and a hampod will run nearly $2,000.