Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2015 17:07:12 -0500
From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Mike,

Lowell W8QIY from this group has a 6 band hex from this company.    He
had tried the optional low band add on, but wasn't pleased and returned
it.   I think it was a terminated folded dipole (TFD)  that gave low swr
on 80 - 40 meters, but  like any good  dummy load, it had low swr and no
signal.    This was with the standard hex spreader length.

To add the full size 40 meter elements as in the model you mentioned,
makes it a monster.   I'm not sure something like this would   last very
long in your area.     Six 21 foot long fiberglass poles flapping in the
wind may not last long, especially when loaded with ice and snow.

As for performance, it is still just a close spaced 2 element antenna.
Probably not fair to compare to  antennas with more elements, or better
spacing.

The height of this monster would be 60 inches as you thought.    The 5
or 6 element  hex is around 30 inches high, depending on where you are
measuring from.

There are some people tinkering with hex beams to add 30 or 40 meters by
using a  trapped or loaded dipole, which doesn't require  as much
additional spreader length.  Of course, just a dipole and no gain.
I remember reading  something from a guy in England doing this.  A
google search might kick it  up.

73, Steve KW3A