ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rhonda Partain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2017 17:26:56 -0400
A recent conversation with a friend sparked these thoughts. What do you all
think?
No Wonder They Don't Believe
	Recently a friend of mine told me of a conversation she had with an
acquaintance. This person was telling her all about what she saw as the
faults of a local pastor. She was spreading gossip using her words to tare
another down. How is this different from a person who doesn't believe in
God? Is it any wonder people don't believe?  Christians are often very
judgmental and are quick to tell of the weaknesses or faults of another. I
didn't join in the conversation about this local pastor. I didn't add to the
words spoken. I was just saddened. To know that others are talking about
someone I care for. I wanted somehow to keep this one who has encouraged me
and others from hearing of this; I wanted somehow to defend this one who has
experienced so much personal hurt. How thoughtless of another to just so
casually quietly try to destroy the character and reputation of someone with
her words. None of us is perfect, we don't know the whole story. We only see
or hear parts. What if we decided to pray for others, concentrate on what is
good, what if we loved them anyway? The gift of words is awesome; I just
wish we would learn how to use them for good. I am not perfect. I wouldn't
want people talking about me, making judgments about how I am living my
life.  The Bible tells us to bear one another's burdens, but who would want
to share their problems and struggles if they feared others would tell their
story? We keep our problems to ourselves depriving ourselves of the
encouragement and prayers of others Maybe someone else has been through the
problem we are now having; perhaps they could identify with our hurt. We
will never know. God never meant us to do life alone. Until we learn to live
out the things we say we believe an unbelieving world will not change. Why
should they? There seems to be very little difference. I guess we have
forgotten that the one without sin is the only one who can throw stones.