VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paul Mimms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 01:07:03 -0600
The main reason I posted the article to this list is that there were very
likely some guide dog users who were subscribed to the list, and who may
not be subscribed to any of the ** Visually Impaired Canine User Group **
lists.  I appreciate the humor , and I hope that this list could tolerate a
message intended for some members, rather than most or all.

>A fascinating article about the ADA and guide dogs in Hawaii.

I am glad you found it fascinating, without tongue in cheek, and I hope
that most of the rest of those who did not find it to be so did simply
delete it.

I kept
>reading to find out why this article was appropriate for a list serve for
>visually impaired computer users.

Because the computer users on the list are visually impaired, and some of
them use guide dogs, even to get to computer user group meetings, you know!

The closest thing that I found was a
>mention of a computer chip that could be part of the dog's collar to allow
>for real time training of the dog or something like that.

The chip is implanted under the dog's skin, and broadcasts information that
will uniquely identify the dog when scanned using computer related
technology similar to that used in an ATM machine or credit card scanner.

>Still, I'm not sure that a single chip on a dog collar qualifies as a
>computer or a computer related accessory or activity.

My premise was that the guide dog handlers were computer related connection
here.

>Or maybe you meant to post your article to another VICUG-L, the Visually
>Impaired Canine Users Group.

Smiles and grins!
        Paul L. Mimms, MSW
President - Heartland Guide Dog Users
Secretary - Missouri SRAC
Crawford, MVP

If you can't manage a smile today, I'll give you one of mine!