VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paul Mimms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 21:26:21 -0600
                                          Minutes
                       Real-Eyes Computer User Group
                                  3-11-97

The meeting of the Real-Eyes Computer User group met on 3-11 at
the Center for Assistive Technology at 5:30 p.m.  It was opened
with a discussion on screen readers and their application with
Windows 95.  Clint Campbell had been asked as a consultant for a
firm with several blind employees to research the best screen
readers that would apply to that environment.  To demonstrate the
flexibility of Windowbridge, Patrick Fischer set up Paul Mimms'
laptop which had a copy of Windowbridge and Windows 95.

The discussion then turned to scanners; the pros and cons of the
Openbook vs. the Omnia-1000.

Patrick pointed out that advocacy is very important; that
advocacy is the reason we have come as far as we have with
adaptive technology.  We have a voice, and in order to get
technology and programs written to reflect the needs of visually
impaired persons, we need to ask for what we need and insist that
those needs are addressed by the manufacturers.

Clint Campbell informed the group that we had missed something
this passed year; that Jim Fettgather had been named "employee of
the year" at Alphapoint for 1996.

Paul Mimms stated that our organization is growing and at some
point in the future, we may have to think about moving.  He also
praised the Center for Assistive Technology for allowing us to
meet at their facility the second and fourth Tuesday each month,
rent free, for as long as we needed it.  We all agreed that they
were going above and beyond the call of duty and how much we
appreciate the opportunity.

The next meeting will be held on 3-25 at 5:30 p.m. at the Center
for Assistive Technology, and Greg Mise of Missing Link
Technologies will be the guest speaker talking about his trip to
CSUN.  He will have many new thoughts, ideas, and technology to
report.

                          Respectfully submitted
                    Ben Blagg, Recording Secretary
Paul L. Mimms, MSW

Piersall, MVP

If you can't manage a smile today, I'll give you one of mine!